Academic Catalog 2023-2024 
    Jun 12, 2024  
Academic Catalog 2023-2024

Costs and Financial Aid


The costs included in this Academic Catalog are those in effect at the time of publication. They are subject to change by action of the Union College Board of Trustees. Tuition and fees paid by students cover about 70 percent of the instructional and operating costs of the College. The difference is met by income from endowment and contributions from individuals and organizations that recognize the opportunities offered by Union College.

Comprehensive Fee: The comprehensive fee, which includes tuition, room, board, and fees for all full-time undergraduate programs is $82,845. A year’s tuition allows students to register for three terms, taking three courses per trimester. This amount will be billed in three equal installments, payable within 30 day of billing for each term, in advance of the first day of classes. All full-time undergraduate students are expected to register for three courses per trimester. All continuing matriculated (full-time) students must register for at least three courses in every trimester prior to graduation.

Additional Courses/Fourth Courses: Full-time undergraduate students who are required to pay for additional courses above the normal course load will be charged $4,875 per course. Refer to “Academic Policies, Fourth Courses ” for policies regarding enrollment for fourth courses.

Part-time and non-degree course fees: All students in a part-time undergraduate program, both matriculated and non-degree, will be charged $7,345 per course. The charge to audit a course is $3,659.

Dining Services: All students living in college owned housing are required to be on a meal plan. All first-year students are required to be enrolled in the 15-meal plan for the Fall term, and have the option of choosing the Unlimited plan instead. After their first term, they may choose any of the meal plans offered. Upper-class students may choose any of the meal plans offered. Students living off campus receive a rebate on their student bill equal to $2,028 per term, which allows $200 per term to remain on their account to use as dining dollars. 

Credit left on the student’s declining balance at the end of the fall or winter term will be credited to the following term. Because the meal plans are exempt from New York State sales tax, any credit remaining at the end of the spring term will be forfeited. Students have the option of adding to their declining balance in increments of $25. The declining balance credit can be used in any of the College’s dining service facilities.

The student’s ID will also act as a declining balance card, which has the cardholder’s picture for identification and a magnetic strip to track the student’s cash and meal balance. Students wishing to purchase additional credit may do so in the Dining Service Office or online. The card is non-transferable and alterations or misuse can result in disciplinary action. Lost cards should be reported to the Campus Safety Office immediately. Replacement charges are $25.

Any board student requiring a special diet must comply with the following procedures:

  1. A letter from the student’s physician must be submitted detailing the specific diet, the reason for the diet, and the expected duration of the diet.
  2. A copy of the diet must be sent to Health Services.
  3. A follow-up letter from the student’s physician must be sent at the end of each term stating the results of the diet and whatever changes, if necessary, must be made in that diet.

Union College holds a club New York State liquor license. The laws governing the locations, sale, and consumption of alcohol on or off campus by student groups or organizations using the dining services will be strictly enforced. Temporary beer and wine permits are necessary for any group wishing to sell beer or wine or charge admission at a social function where beer and wine are being served. Such permits are available through the local A.B.C. Board.

College Housing: Union is a residential college, and all students are expected to live on campus during the course of their undergraduate years, provided housing is available. Each year, prior to the spring housing lottery, the Office of Residence Life will publish guidelines for requesting permission to live off campus. Students living off campus will receive a housing rebate of $2,708 per term, for a total of $8,124 per year. Students who are married or who commute can be exempted from the on-campus requirement. (There are no housing facilities for married students.) Once the residence contract is signed, the student is bound to all College policies as outlined in this Academic Catalog, the College’s Student Handbook, and the terms and conditions of the residence hall contract.

All residence hall rooms are provided with a single telephone connection and an individual network connection for each occupant. Telephone service that is provided at no additional cost includes dial tone for touch tone service; campus and local calling; and custom calling features. The phones for the rooms are provided by the residents. Long distance calling can be provided by the College using personal authorization codes obtainable through the Telecommunications Office, or by other long distance carriers using a calling card. The 100Mbit/second Ethernet network connection provides access to the computers run by the Office of Information Technology Services and to the Internet.

Bookstore Charges: Students may open a charge account at the Bookstore at any time, with a parent as co-signer on the account agreement. These charges will be included on the student account bill. Students with financial holds will have their Bookstore account closed until the balance is satisfied. Bookstore accounts for all students are suspended on May 16th in preparation for final billing information. The Bookstore also accepts cash, checks, and major credit cards as payment.

Student Health Insurance: All full-time undergraduate students are required to be covered by health insurance that meets the minimum requirements established by the College. U.S. Citizens who are covered by their parents’ / responsible party’s insurance may waive enrollment in the College plan by completing the online waiver at Students will be enrolled for insurance provided through the College and charged $2,293.20 if the online waiver is not completed. The waiver is only valid for the current year; therefore it must be completed annually. The deadline to waive is September 15 and is the only means students have of avoiding compulsory enrollment and charges under the College-sponsored plan.

International students are automatically enrolled in and billed for the Union College health insurance and charged $2,281.96

Tuition, Room and Board Refund Policy in the Event of a Withdrawal or Suspension

Voluntary Withdrawals

Tuition Refund

Any student who withdraws from Union, other than students who are suspended/expelled for academic or social conduct, will be eligible for a refund of the Comprehensive Fee (specifically tuition, room and board fees) using the last day of attendance based on the following schedule:

  • Withdrawal before the first day of classes -100% refunded
  • Withdrawal during 1st and 2nd week - 75% refunded
  • Withdrawal during 3rd and 4th week - 50% refunded
  • Withdrawal during 5th or 6th week- 25% refunded
  • Withdrawal after the end of 6th week - No refund

Students suspended/expelled for academic or social conduct will not be entitled to any refund of the Comprehensive Fee.  Students placed on involuntary leave for reasons other than academic or social conduct will follow the refund policy for voluntary withdrawals.

Please note, this refund policy applies only to withdrawal from the college, not to individual course withdrawals. Students are required to vacate their college residence within 24 hours of their last date of attendance in class.

Students who receive financial aid and withdraw during a trimester will have their aid reevaluated, possibly necessitating repayment of a portion of aid received. This obligation my differ depending on the type of aid received. For example, Financial Aid Withdrawal Policy is applicable to any Title IV Funds received by students. In some cases these adjustments to financial aid may result in the student’s bill not being fully paid, even after giving effects to refunds made pursuant to this policy, and the student will remain responsible for the resulting balance.

You can consider these ways to make up credits to remain on course for your expected graduation date if you are contemplating withdrawing from a term.

Room and Board Refund

Refunds for room and board charges will be pro-rated based on the percentage of the term elapsed. Credits for room and board will be applied to the student account at the time of withdrawal.

Medical Withdrawals

The medical withdrawal policy is the same for involuntary and voluntary medical withdrawals. Students are encouraged to request a voluntary medical withdrawal at any time they believe that their physical or mental health concerns are significantly interfering with the ability to be a successful student and/or that the demands of College life are interfering with recovery or safety. A medical withdrawal must be approved by the Class Dean in consultation with campus health care professionals in accordance with College policy.

Students medically withdrawn during the term will receive a pro-rated refund of tuition based on the schedule above. Charges for room and board will be pro-rated based on the percentage of the term elapsed.

If the withdrawn student does not return to Union within six (6) months of the withdrawal and has a student loan, they may be contacted to begin repayment of their student loans. Students should contact their loan servicer for any questions regarding their loan repayment options.

If the student does not plan to return for the term following withdrawal, he/she must notify their Class Dean in writing by the last day of classes of the withdrawal term. Failure to pre-schedule, register, non-payment of the term bill, or a request for a transcript constitute official notice of withdrawal or leave of absence.

Students are encouraged to take the time that is needed to be well enough to return to campus to continue their studies. When ready to return, please submit a return request form or contact your Class Dean indicating your intent to return. You will also need to include a letter from your treating clinician/physician indicating your current ability to return to a residential environment as well as any treatment you have received and will need to continue.

Registration: All financial obligations must be satisfied before prescheduling. This includes the receipt of funds from student loans and scholarships from sources outside of Union College.

General Financial Obligations: Returning students who have an outstanding balance on move-in day of Fall Term will have their housing assignment and course registration removed until the balance is paid.

A late payment fee of $100 will be assessed to all students with balances not paid or not covered by approved financial aid after the due date.

Students with outstanding payments may not:

  • pre-schedule for the next term
  • apply to term abroad programs
  • In extreme cases, students may be withdrawn from Union

Delinquent accounts are referred to credit bureaus and a collection agency. If any overdue obligation is referred to an outside agency or to an attorney for collection efforts and/or legal suit, the debt is increase to cover all reasonable costs of collection, including interest, penalties, collection agency fees, court costs and attorney fees.


Admission Deposit - to be applied as a credit to the student account with the fall term billing.

Collection Fee

A fee of $25 will be charged for each check returned for insufficient funds

International Programs

  • Students participating in a faculty led study abroad are charged the comprehensive fee for the term plus a $650 International Program fee. Charges include tuition, room, board, insurance, and group excursions; but exclude round trip airfare to and from the host country program destination.
  • Students participating in a term abroad without a Union faculty member are charged the comprehensive fee for the term. Charges include tuition, room, board, insurance, and group excursions; but exclude round trip airfare to and from the host country / program destination.
  • Exchange programs in Akita, Japan; Lille, France; Antwerp, Belgium; and Istanbul, Turkey have special billing arrangements and students are encouraged to check with the International Programs Office.
  • Students who withdrawal from a study abroad program are subject to the International Programs Withdrawal Policy

Late Fees

A fee of $100 will be assessed for past due student account balances.

Student Activity Fee

A fee of $117 per term is included in the Comprehensive Fee (allocated to student organization/committees by the student government. Payment is required of all full-time matriculated undergraduate students).

Financial Aid

Union College has a long-standing history of enrolling students who have an outstanding record of personal and academic achievement with a strong commitment to excellence. Since not all qualified students have the financial resources required to attend the College, we offer a very comprehensive financial aid program designed to make a Union education an affordable option for all undergraduate students.

Although the College offers some merit awards to recognize the outstanding accomplishments of applicants, the majority of aid resources are awarded based on demonstrated financial need as measured through both the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the CSS Profile. All candidates for admission are automatically considered for merit awards. There are no separate applications required.

Applying for Financial Aid

Prospective students who would like to be considered for need-based financial aid must indicate on their admissions application their desire to apply for aid and submit both the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the CSS Profile by January 15. In addition, if the biological parents of the dependent student are separated or divorced, the noncustodial parent must also complete and submit the CSS Profile.

Continuing students must complete the current year FAFSA and Profile and submit all verification documents to the aid office by May 1. A listing of the required verification documents is provided on the financial aid web site.

Aid Awards

Generally, awards consist of a combination of scholarships, grants, loans, and part-time employment. In determining the aid award, Union typically includes a part-time job ranging from $1,700 to $2,200 as well as some minimal amount of loan. The balance of the award consists of scholarship assistance. The College attempts to meet the full demonstrated need of all of our applicants. Since needs change from year to year, students must submit applications each year to determine their award eligibility.

Initial aid awards will be offered based on the information provided on both the FAFSA and Profile. All enrolling students will be required to utilize the IRS Direct Data Exchange when completing the FAFSA and submit copies of their federal tax returns and W-2’s to verify the awards that have been offered. Awards may be adjusted when there are differences between FAFSA/Profile estimates and actual figures. If a student receives outside scholarship awards, he or she must notify the financial aid office. If federal need has not been fully met or a student is receiving only merit awards, he or she may be able to keep the outside award in addition to our financial aid offer. If federal need is fully met, the College will reduce the loan or work portion of the package first. For questions about how the award may affect an aid package, please contact the financial aid office.

Disbursement of Aid

Financial aid awards will be disbursed to a student’s account provided that the award has been income verified and all required documents have been completed online or submitted directly to the financial aid or the finance office. Typically the aid will be disbursed at the beginning of each term and subsequent disbursements will occur on a weekly basis.

Annual Renewals

Since family circumstances change from year to year, need is re-evaluated annually. Continuing students will receive a reminder via email from the Department of Education for the renewal of their FAFSA application. In addition, the Financial Aid office will provide detailed information on its web site regarding the renewal application process. Students and parents can view the status of their application through Financial Aid Self Service which is accessed from the Self Service Student Menu. The deadline for continuing students is May 1. Once the completed aid application has been reviewed by the Financial Aid Office, the student will be notified via email to view their award online. In Self Service you are able to view financial aid award letters, keep track of application requirements and accept or reject student loans. Please note that all students are eligible to receive a maximum of 12 terms of financial assistance.

If a student is receiving only a merit award the scholarship will automatically be renewed in subsequent years provided the student is enrolled as a full-time undergraduate at Union College. Students who are enrolled in the Leadership in Medicine Program and/or the 3+3 Accelerated Law Program are not eligible to receive merit and/or need-based aid from Union College once they have officially enrolled at Albany Medical College or Albany Law School.


In some cases, the total amount of financial aid will exceed the amount of the bill. This most often occurs for students living off-campus. If a credit balance exists on a student account, he or she may elect to leave the surplus to be used for a future term or request a refund from the Finance office. Please note that refunds can be issued only on amounts that have been credited to the account.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

There are no minimum grade point average requirements for the renewal of Union College scholarship awards. However, if a student is receiving federal and/or New York State awards, he or she must meet satisfactory progress guidelines described in the sections that follow.

Academic Eligibility for Federal Title IV Programs

Federal regulations require that schools monitor the academic progress of each applicant for financial assistance to ensure they are meeting academic progress standards. At Union College, the standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) are evaluated annually at the end of each academic year. In order to maintain SAP, all three of the following guidelines must be met.

  • Students must complete each academic year (three terms of enrollment) with a cumulative GPA of 2.0.
  • Students must complete their program at a pace of 67%. To illustrate: Typically, students register for/attempt a total of 9 credit-bearing courses per academic year. In order to meet Union’s pace standard, 6 of those courses must be successfully completed (67%).
  • Students are expected to complete graduation requirements within the normal time specified in the program description for the program in which they are enrolled. Under certain circumstances, however, the student may require more than the normal completion time to fulfill graduation requirements. The maximum time frame in which a student must complete the program is 150% of the published length of program measured in credit-bearing classes attempted.

When evaluating pace, please note the following:

  • Credits transferred in from another institution as well as Advanced Placement classes that are accepted towards the student’s educational program are counted when measuring SAP as classes attempted and classes earned.
  • Grades of “W” (withdrawn), “WF” (withdrawn failing) and “I” (incomplete) will be included as classes attempted, but not as earned. Note: Students who have received an “I” and, as a result, are not making SAP are responsible for informing the Financial Aid office when they have been assigned a traditional letter grade. They should request a review of their SAP status. This review is not considered an appeal and may not result in eligibility for federal student aid. For example, if a processing deadline has passed then federal aid cannot be disbursed regardless of their SAP status. It is the responsibility of the student in this situation to contact the financial aid office for all processing deadlines.
  • For repeated courses, the original and repeated course will both be included in the total number of classes attempted. However, the student will only receive credit for taking the class once. This includes students who have repeated a course because of a prior failure or who are repeating a course they have passed, but not met a minimum grade requirement.

For instance, if a required prerequisite must be completed with a “C-“, but the student previously passed with a “D”, both classes will count as attempted, but counted only once as earned.

Students who are not meeting the SAP requirements will lose eligibility for their federal aid (Direct loans, PLUS loans, PELL, SEOG and federal work study) the following academic year. In order to regain eligibility, they must be meeting SAP requirements by the end of the following year.

Federal regulations permit students to appeal their loss of federal aid and, instead, be placed on one term of Academic Probation status. This status allows for reinstatement of federal funds for one payment period only, provided all appeal conditions are met and approved. The bases on which a student may file an appeal include the death of a relative, an injury or illness of the student, or other special circumstances beyond the student’s control. The student must complete the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form and include documentation to support their basis of appeal, a letter that explains what has changed in the student’s situation that will allow the student to demonstrate SAP at the next evaluation and a plan of action developed with the academic advisor that will ensure they continue to meet SAP. In certain cases, an academic advisor may develop a plan which will enable the student to meet Union’s SAP standards by a specific point in time. In such situations, until the specified point in time is reached, the student’s progress must be evaluated each term to determine whether or not the student is meeting the requirements of the plan. Any student who is not meeting the requirements of the plan will lose their Academic Probation status and, therefore, eligibility for federal funding. The Appeal Form along with supporting documentation will be reviewed by a committee that will include the Director of Financial Aid as well as an Academic Dean. The student will be informed of the committee’s decision by letter and/or email.

In the event that a student is placed on Academic Probation for one term, Union will review the progress at the end of each subsequent term for the entire academic year to confirm he/she is making SAP or meeting the requirements specified in the academic plan.

New York State: Academic Eligibility Requirements

Payment: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Course Credits: 0 1.5 3 4.5 7.5 10.5 13.5 16.5 19.5 22.5 25.5 28.5 31.5 34.5 36
GPA: 0 1.3 1.5 1.8 1.8 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0

A student must also achieve what is referred to as “satisfactory program pursuit.” This is defined as completing, with either a passing or a failing grade, a certain percentage of a full-time course load in each term for which an award is received. The percentage is 50 percent of the minimum full-time course load in each term of study during the first year in which an award is received; 75 percent of the full-time course load in each term of study in the second year for which an award is received; and 100 percent of the minimum full-time course load in each term thereafter.

Student Rights and Responsibilities

A student has the right to know and understand all aspects of the financial aid process and programs that are administered through the Union College Financial Aid Office. Questions may be directed to the staff of the Office of Financial Aid. Some commonly asked questions are listed below:

  • What financial assistance is available, including information on all federal, state, and Union College aid programs?
  • What are the specific deadlines for submitting applications for each of the various aid programs?
  • What is Union’s cost of attendance and what is our policy with regard to making refunds to students who leave the College?
  • What criterion is used to determine which students are eligible to receive aid?
  • How does the College determine financial need, including how costs for tuition, fees, room and board, travel, books and supplies are considered in the calculated budget?
  • What resources (such as parental contribution, other aid resources, assets, etc.) are considered in the calculation of need?
  • How much of financial need as determined by the College has been met?
  • What does each of the types of aid included in a package mean?
  • What portion of an aid award must be repaid and what portion represents gift aid? If any portion of a package includes a loan, the student has the right to know the interest rate, the total amount that must be repaid, the payback procedures, the total time to repay the loan, and when the repayment is to begin.

Along with these rights, students also have responsibilities which include:

  • Review and consider all information about a school’s financial aid program and specifically, the financial aid award, before enrollment.
  • Complete financial aid applications accurately and within the established deadlines. Errors may delay the processing of an application. Intentional misreporting of information on application forms for federal aid is a federal violation and is subject to penalties under the U.S. Criminal Code.
  • Return all additional documentation, verification, corrections, or other requests from the financial aid office or by agencies to which a student has submitted applications.
  • Read and understand and accept responsibility for all of the forms. Keep copies for records.
  • Notify a lender of any change in name, address, or school enrollment status.
  • Perform in an acceptable manner, the work that is agreed upon when accepting employment through the Federal Work-Study Program.

Financial Aid Programs

Federal Aid

Students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be considered for any of the federal programs (grants, loans, and work study). Based on the FAFSA, the Financial Aid Office reviews eligibility and makes awards within program guidelines and formulas (as always, subject to available funds).


Pell Grant: These grants, varying from $945 to $7,395, are awarded to the neediest students (based on a federal calculation).

Federal Supplementary Educational Grant Program (FSEOG): These additional grants are awarded to Pell Grant recipients.

Work Study

Federal Work-Study Program: Students work in part-time jobs on campus and can earn up to the amount indicated on the award letter. This is a federally subsidized program administered by the College and offered to students as part of their aid package. Preference for jobs is given to students based on financial need. Additional information regarding the work-study employment program is available on the financial aid office website.


Federal Direct Subsidized Loan Program: A need-based student loan that carries a fixed interest rate and allows for the deferment of both principal and interest while the student is enrolled at least half-time. Loan maximum amounts are $3,500 (first-year students), $4,500 (sophomores), and $5,500 (juniors and seniors) with a maximum cumulative total of $23,000.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan: Students who do not qualify for all or part of the need-based subsidized Direct Loan may qualify for an unsubsidized Direct loan. The interest rate is fixed and the interest begins at time of disbursement (or the student can choose to pay the interest while still in school). For dependent undergraduate students, the annual loan limits include amounts borrowed under a Federal Direct Subsidized Loan (i.e. first-year students $3,500; sophomores $4,500; juniors and seniors $5,500). Dependent undergraduates may borrow an additional $2,000. Undergraduates who are independent according to the federal guidelines or whose parents are ineligible for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan may borrow up to an additional $6,000 (for first-year students and sophomores) and $7,000 (for juniors and seniors). The interest rate for Direct Loans effective July 1, 2023 is 5.50% with an origination fee of 1.057%. Eligibility for these loans is determined through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at The Financial Aid Office notifies applicants the specific amounts for which they qualify from both the subsidized and unsubsidized loan programs. Repayment begins six months after completion of studies or leaving college and may extend up to ten years.

Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS): If creditworthy, parents of undergraduate students may be eligible to borrow up to the cost of attending Union (minus other financial aid accepted). The PLUS loan has a fixed interest rate of 8.05% effective July 1, 2023 and repayment begins 60 days after the funds are fully disbursed. The parent borrower does have the option to defer payments on the PLUS loan until the student’s six month grace period ends. PLUS loans are subject to a 4.228% origination fee. Information on the application process is available on our web site or from the Financial Aid Office.

Veterans Administration (VA) Benefits: Many programs of educational assistance benefits are available to those who have served in the military, and their dependents. Program benefits vary with dates and length of service. Detailed information on all veterans’ benefits and assistance in applying for benefits can be obtained from offices of the Veterans Administration in each state.

GI Bill® Educational Benefits and the Yellow Ribbon Program

Union College is a proud participant in the Yellow Ribbon Program and its commitment to provide educational opportunities and resources for U.S. Veterans. Congress passed the Post 9-11 GI Bill® to enable affordability for eligible participants at public and private colleges and universities as well as other educational programs. In some cases, the resources provided by the Veterans Administration combined with the Union College award enable the qualified applicants to enroll at Union at minimal cost.

The Post-9-11 GI Bill® provides educational resources for individuals who served on active duty after September 10, 2001 with at least 90 days of aggregate service, or individuals who were discharged as a result of a service-connected disability after serving 30 continuous days following September 10, 2001. Individuals must also have received an honorable discharge for consideration of the Post 9-11 GI Bill®. The level of eligibility ranges from 40% - 100% depending on the actual length of time of active duty after September 10, 2001.

Veterans who are eligible at the 100% level may receive payments from the Veterans Administration covering the following:

  • Tuition and fees - up to a maximum of $27,120
  • A monthly housing allowance
  • A stipend to cover the cost of books

Veterans who qualify for benefits at less than the 100% level will receive prorated amounts for the benefits listed above. In some instances, individuals may transfer their benefits to their spouse or dependent children. More detailed information regarding the specific levels of eligibility and transfer of benefits is available on the GI Bill® Website.

Students receiving Veterans benefits may also qualify for Institutional, Federal, and State financial aid programs. Application requirements are available on the financial aid website.  

As a participant in the Yellow Ribbon program, qualified applicants must self-identify as Yellow Ribbon eligible on their admission application. Union College will fund up to six Yellow Ribbon awards. These awards are granted on a first-come, first served basis. Qualified Veterans will receive $39,336 in Union Scholarship, which when combined with the Veterans assistance, will cover the cost of tuition and fees. Please note that eligibility for Yellow Ribbon is limited to applicants who are eligible at the 100% level.

Upon submission of your application to the Veterans Administration for benefits, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility which must be completed by the School Certifying Official in the Registrar’s office. Please send this form to the Registrar and School Certifying Officer at for certification.

For additional information regarding admission or financial aid please email inquiries to or

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), this school adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA.  This school will not:

  • Prevent nor delay the student’s enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to the student;
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny the student access to any resources available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution, including but not limited to access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students will be required to produce the Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class.

State of New York Aid

New York offers a number of financial aid programs to residents. The Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) and Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) are described below. In addition, the state offers other special programs for which details and application information are available at New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC), 99 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12255.

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP): Awards range from $500 to $5,665 annually and eligibility is based on New York State family net taxable income. Applicants must apply each year to the New York State Higher Education Services Corp., 99 Washington Ave., Albany, N.Y. 12255. In addition to meeting the income eligibility guidelines, TAP recipients must continue to meet the satisfactory academic progress and program pursuit requirements as described in the N.Y.S. Academic Eligibility section. Students who fail to meet the minimum successful completion of coursework and grade point average requirements, may lose their eligibility for TAP for the following term or until they meet the minimum requirements. Students must also be enrolled full time to qualify for New York State awards. Students withdrawing from all courses in a particular term will be ineligible for the next term. More information is available under the section “New York State Satisfactory Academic Progress”.

Higher Education Opportunity Program: To qualify for this program a student must be a N.Y. State resident attending a N.Y. college or university, and be economically and educationally disadvantaged. Need is met through a combination of state, federal, and institutional funds. In addition to the financial component, the program offers support services such as counseling and tutoring. There is not a separate application required for this program.

Other State Aid

Students who are residents of certain states may be eligible to receive grant assistance from their state applicable to their costs at Union. Contact the appropriate state agency listed for further information and applications:

  • Delaware Postsecondary Education Commission, 820 French St., 4th Floor, Wilmington, Delaware 19801; (302) 571-3240;
  • Rhode Island Higher Education Assistance Authority, 274 Weybosset St., Providence, Rhode Island 02903; (401) 277-2050;
  • Vermont Student Assistance Corp., Champlain Mill, P.O. Box 2000, Winooski, Vermont 05404; (802) 655-9602;
  • Department of Human Services Office of Postsecondary Education Research & Assistance, 1331 H. St. N.W., Suite 600, Washington, D.C. 20005; (202) 727-3688;

Institutional Aid


Including all of the College’s endowed and annual scholarships, this is by far the largest single source of assistance available to our students. Most of the scholarship money offered is based on need as determined by the FAFSA and PROFILE forms. Union does offer some merit awards ranging from $18,000 to $30,000 per year and students are considered for those merit awards prior to their enrollment at Union. It is not necessary to complete a separate application to qualify for a merit scholarship.


These college funded loans normally range from $1000 to $5000 and have a fixed interest rate of 6%. The interest does not accumulate while the student is enrolled and repayment begins 6 months after the student has graduated or leaves school. These loans are generally based on need and the standard application procedures apply. Repayment can be deferred for graduate school.